After obtaining a master’s degree in art (2004, University of Ljubljana, Academy of Fine Arts, Video and New Media Department), he worked as a freelance artist and curator (of more than 20 international exhibitions and festivals), and served as the president of the new media production unit ArtNetLab Society for Connecting Art and Science (2005−2016).
He taught video and new media courses at higher education institutions (2007−2018 Lecturer and Assistant Professor of new media, visual culture, and communications at the Faculty of Design in Ljubljana; 2012−2018 Teaching Assistant of video and new media at the Academy of Fine Arts and Design of the University of Ljubljana).
After completing his doctorate in literary studies at the Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana (2011, The Current Relevance of Realistic Discourse in Literary and Intermedia Art), he started working for the University of Nova Gorica (in 2012), developing the fields of new media theory and digital humanities. As a video and new media artist, he incorporated artistic knowledge into comparative art research, which is in line with the growing use of not only verbal ways of arguing in the humanities.
In 2014 he took over the management of the Research Center for the Humanities of the University of Nova Gorica. Serving as dean of the Faculty of Humanities, University of Nova Gorica, he prepared a new interdisciplinary master’s degree study program in digital humanities. He is an Associate Professor of literature.
From 2004 to 2007, he was a member of the committee for intermedia arts of the Glazer Award given by the City of Maribor, and from 2012 to 2017, a member of the expert committee for fine arts of the Prešeren Fund Management Board. 2019–2020 he served as chairman of the expert committee for intermedia arts of the Ministry culture of the Republic of Slovenia.
Since 2015, he has been a member of the Likovne besede / Artwords journal council and editorial board.
He has been a member of the Association of Slovenian Fine Artists since 2014. In 2014, he received an honorable mention of the May Salon, and in 2017, the main jury award of the Salon of the Association of Slovenian Fine Arts Societies.
In 2021 he was appointed director of the Moderna galerija in Ljubljana.
- VAUPOTIČ, Aleš. Vprašanje realizma. Založba Univerze v Novi Gorici, 2019.
- VAUPOTIČ, Aleš. Theory of discourse and semiotics. In: Non/cognate approaches. Sofia: Paradigma, 2019. 67–84.
- BOVCON, Narvika, VAUPOTIČ, Aleš. Transmedia adaptation. In: (Re)writing without borders: contemporary intermedial perspectives on literature and the visual arts. Champaign, Il.: Common Ground Research Networks, 2018. 101–118.
- VAUPOTIČ, Aleš. Razučevanje: documenta 14. Likovne besede 106 (2017): 34–47.
- VAUPOTIČ, Aleš. Teorija tehno-slike Viléma Flusserja. In: Zorman, Barbara, Vaupotič, Aleš (eds.). Literatura in gibljive slike. Primerjalna književnost 37.2 (2014): 151–163.
- BOVCON, Narvika, VAUPOTIČ, Aleš, KLEMENC, Bojan, SOLINA, Franc. "Atlas 2012" augmented reality. In: Human factors in computing and informatics. SouthCHI 2013. Heidelberg: Springer, 2013. 477–496.
- VAUPOTIČ, Aleš. Literature and new media art in the "sonnetoid" web projects by Slovenian artists Vuk Ćosić and Teo Spiller. Revue de littérature comparée 87.4 (2013): 423–440.
- BOVCON, Narvika, VAUPOTIČ, Aleš. Curating new media. Acta graphica 22.3/4 (2011): 79–84.
- BOVCON, Narvika, VAUPOTIČ, Aleš, SOLINA, Franc, BATAGELJ, Borut, DEŽELJIN, Damir. Presence: the integration of classical artistic media in a smart space prototype. In: 15th International Conference on Virtual Systems and Multimedia, Vienna. Los Alamitos; Washington; Tokyo: IEEE Computer Society, 2009. 98–103.
Full bibliography: http://sicris.izum.si/search/rsr.aspx?id=39571.
Organizer of New Media Art Festivals
- Speculum Artium 2009. Trbovlje, Ljubljana. Speculum Artium 2008. Mestna galerija Ljubljana. Festival organizer.
- 1.3 Festival of Video and New Media Art, 2007–2008, Ljubljana. Director of the festival.
- 8. Pixxelpoint. 2007, Nova Gorica, Gorica. Curator.
- 12th International Festival of Computer Arts / 12. mednarodni festival računalniških umetnosti (MFRU), 8.–19. 5. 2006, Ljubljana, Maribor. Coordinator of the selection by Peter Weibel, curator of Staro in novo: generalna linija / Old and New: The General Line, and the festival director.
- 11th International Festival of Computer Arts (MFRU), 10.–13. 5. 2005, Maribor, Ljubljana, Koper, Zagreb, Graz. Coordinator of the selection by Peter Weibel, curator of Open.Line – web art of database elements presentation / spletna umetnost prikazovanja elementov podatkovnih zbirk, and the festival director.
- 10th International Festival of Computer Arts (MFRU), 11.–15. 5. 2004, Maribor, Ljubljana, Zagreb, Graz. Coordinator of the selection by Peter Weibel, curator of Izgubljeno s prevodom / Lost in Translation.
Studies Abroad (selection)
- 2009: doctoral summer school Interfacing Sciences and Humanities, University of Bologna.
- 2006: a semester at the Wanganui School of Design, UCOL, Nova Zelandija: digital animation.
- 2004: Convivio summer school Communities in Transition (on People-Centered Human-Computer Interaction Design), Split, Croatia.
- 2003: Vivere Venezia 2, international school and exhibition, 50th International Art Exhibition Venice Biennial. Facoltà di design e arti, Università Iuav di Venezia, supervisors Angela Vettese, Rirkrit Tiravanija, Joseph Kosuth, Olafur Eliasson, Francesco Bonami.